Saturday, May 17, 2008

About this Blog

Refinancing Home Loan: Pay High Repricing Fee

Posted by: Anonymous
Posted: 16-05-2008

Buyers beware, real life experience .......

Want home loan rate adjusted? Pay $6,000 fee

WHEN I signed up a home loan with Maybank one year ago when Sibor was still at 2.4 per cent, with a view that general interest rates will go down, I decided to take the risk with a floating rate loan pegged at 0.97 per cent below Maybank board rate (3.75 per cent) for the first year.

This was despite the reminder by the loan officer that should interest rates go up, Maybank will correspondingly increase its board rate. While not pegged directly to Sibor, I was told that Sibor will be a good benchmark.

Now, one year down the road when Sibor has dropped almost one per cent to 1.44 per cent, I am still waiting for my floating loan to be adjusted accordingly.

I was told that my loan will be adjusted only if I pay a repricing fee of $6,000. This makes the readjustment completely unviable. What's more, Maybank has been offering new packages at 2.28 per cent for the first year all this while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dear visitors:
Your comments are most welcome!

The blogger here has been affectionately named by close allies as "Smart Buyer" but really, he's not smart. Smart Buyer just believes that being prudent is smart. That's the essence of the message of this blog and Smart Buyer hopes it'll benefit other property buyers.

Smart Buyer :)